The VA Minneapolis Healthcare System is seeking a Physician Assistant to work in the Primary Care Service Line in the Emergency Department.The direct supervisor of the PA will be the director of the Emergency Department, and the Chief of Medicine will be designated as alternate supervising physician. In addition, the PA works with consulting specialist and contract emergency medicine specialists. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
* Performs comprehensive history and physical examinations and initiates treatment when indicated for acute and chronic medical conditions.
* Orders diagnostic laboratory and imaging tests as needed. Interprets and applies findings to make a medical diagnosis.
* Uses prescriptive authority granted by licensure to prescribe and administer routine therapeutics including medications, devices and procedures.
* Uses electronic record for documentation. Initiates consultation requests and records required notes on all procedures or patient visits in the in the electronic medical record. Participates in peer review and process improvement.
* Performs procedures that are delineated by scope of practice. Emergency procedures may be required in situations where the physician is not immediately available and may include initiation and assisting in management of cardiac arrest, acute respiratory failure and first aid for life threatening injuries.
* Provides customer focused and cost effective approach to all aspects of patient care.
* Educates and counsels veterans and families for promotion and maintenance of health as well as prevention of illness and disability.
* Instructs patients and families concerning treatment, medications and reportable signs and symptoms associated with their diagnoses.
* Ensures that the practice is consistent with Joint Commission, CARF, VA policies and procedures, clinical practice emergency medicine guidelines, VISN standards, national statutes and regulations, medical record documentation, mandatory continuing education, and HIPPA policies.
* Engages in systematic evaluation and improvement of the quality and effectiveness of patient care.
Work Schedule: May include weekends and holidays
U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Education or Training: The candidate must meet one of the following:
(1) Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and
(2) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Certification: Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA.
Physical Standards: See VA Directive and Handbook 5019 and position-specific criteria listed below.
English Language Proficiency: PAs appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d).
Preferred Qualifications: Minimum 2 years experience in an Emergency Department, or Graduation from an emergency medicine post graduate program
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: Eligible applicants must be physically and mentally able to perform efficiently the essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation, without hazard to themselves or others. Depending on the essential duties of a specific position, usable vision, color vision, hearing, or speech may be required. However, in most cases, a specific physical condition or impairment will not automatically disqualify an applicant for appointment. The loss or impairment of a specific function may be compensated for by the satisfactory use of a prosthesis or mechanical aid. This position requires regular and recurring physical exertion such as long periods of standing, bending and reaching to obtain supplies and working with equipment, etc.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s): *Other(VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations) *Resume
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Cover Letter *DD-214 *OF-306 *Other Veterans Document *SF-15 *SF-50 *Transcript
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1991549.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.