The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. Tab will move on to the next part of the site rather than go through menu items.
JOB SUMMARY: This is an opportunity for a qualified, exceptionally motivated individual to join a dynamic, productive academic laboratory team focused on the prevention, treatment, and biology of coronavirus (CoV) infections. The primary responsibility is to perform bioinformatic analyses on next-generation sequencing data to answer questions surrounding mechanism of action and evolutionary pathways resistance for compounds under investigation for development into therapeutics. Secondary responsibilities include involvement in other laboratory research focused on CoV genetic diversity and pathogenesis. Work may also include model virus replication, genetics, and molecular biology using murine hepatitis virus at BSL-2. Our research resides at the intersection of antiviral interventional strategies, CoV replication, and viral evolution. The scientific program involves collaborations with leading scientists in academia, industry, government, and private organizations. This position anticipates independence, superb technical competence, meticulous attention to research protocols, integrated application of diverse technologies, and communication skills for highly collaborative interactions within and external to the laboratory.
The division of pediatric infectious diseases features nationally and internationally-recognized leaders in vaccine development and vaccine safety, bacterial infections such as pertussis and staphylococcus aureus, viral infections such as influenza and coronaviruses (e.g. SARS), pediatric HIV/AIDS, global health, antimicrobial stewardship, and the care of children with compromised immune systems.
Why Choose Infectious Diseases Care at Children's Hospital?
Our team of ID physicians, nurses, and pharmacists is dedicated to providing the highest-quality care in a compassionate and patient-centered manner.
Our team is continually at the forefront of new and innovative developments in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of pediatric infections.
Our team works closely with all other specialties within Children's Hospital to provide an individualized, multidisciplinary plan of care for your child.
Full Time/Non-Exempt Position
Click here to view how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
1. Perform bioinformatics analyses with limited supervision
Execute existing bioinformatics pipelines locally and on high performance computer cluster
Identify and utilize appropriate computational tools and practices across multiple independent projects
Manage, maintain, and document data storage for the laboratory
Aid in the development of new computational pipelines incorporating multi-omic datasets
Troubleshoot novel bioinformatic functionalities during pipeline development
2. Conduct and trouble-shoot research at BSL-2 with limited supervision
Plan, design, and implement experiments
Collect and interpret research data
Generate reports, graphs, charts, tables, etc. of research findings
3. Communicate research findings in regular laboratory group conferences and ad hoc with individual lab members to ensure continuing scientific progress and meeting deadlines for submission of funding proposals, progress reports, and manuscripts
4. Provide research training
Train new lab members for work with bioinformatics pipelines
Provide technical guidance to students, post-doctoral fellows, staff, and faculty as needed
Bachelors Diploma (or equivalent experience) and 2 years relevant experience
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.